It became my dream

Cheesy BUT, never thought I'd see this day...

I didn't quite grow up valuing education, not that my parents didn't value it but,

(because believe me I still remember the day I got a C on my 5th grade report card and all I said was, "I don't want to be a nerd, I want to be cool", which was followed by a lengthy lecture from my parents on the values of good grades and the fact that I didn't have to get bad grades to be cool. Oh what little did I know!!)

I hated the idea of writing about topics I had no interest in,
The idea that x+y=z?.
Photosynthesis, is this something we even used in real life? <-- duh! Oxygen stupid
verbs and commas... (Let's eat grandpa. Vs. Let's eat, grandpa)

Why would I need all this? In my naive high school days I just wanted to be a pastors wife and have babies. Whaaaat?! I clearly remember meeting with my high school guidance counselor and telling him this, he quickly responded, "ok sure but how about college?"

My high senior year in high school, although it had many amazing memorable parts, the last half seriously made me want to quit life. A.J. had plans of going to college, so me going to college didn't seem fair to me, if he didn't get to to why should I?

(I apologize for the scattered mess this blog may be, I'm writing this under little sleep...)

I was so blessed with a season of discipleship under Masters Commission a year after I graduated High school.
It changed the way I looked at life, really. It molded me into thinking about the bigger picture, not be so self centered and that serving others is the heart of God. This program made me question my earlier decision of not needing college.

As I began to understand all the sacrifices both my parents had made for my brother and I, and I learned about my grandparents stories of laborious lives and their struggle to provide for the family in the U.S..... I slowly began to look at the option of COLLEGE.

Where would I even start? What kind of classes does an aspiring stay at home mom take?
Would I be doing this for me or for my family? Do we even have money for this? What if I fail? What if I just waste my time and hate school? What would people say? What's a B.S.? What's a BOG waiver? Masters? What's a FAFSA?


I can't say my dream at the beginning was to graduate from a university, lame I know, but I can say that I'm so grateful that it became my dream.
My dream to become a social worker.
My first semesters were just trial runs... If I hate it I'll quit.
(Of course my mom's motto kept me in school as well, "As long as you go to school, I'll help you")

Each semester I learned something about myself.
I learned that I owed it to myself to see how far I could go.
I owed it to my grandparents who fought and worked extremely hard to be in the U.S.
I owed it to A.J.
I owe it to my brother, in hopes of being an example that it is possible.
I learned that my mom who worked tirelessly so her children could be better.
I owed it to the fact that I live in a country with so many freedoms.

For the many women who worked to see these freedoms.
For the Chicano community, to challenge the stereotypes.
I owed it to my future husband and our future children....
I owed it to the many underprivileged precious people that I'll be helping as a Social Worker....

Each semester I saw God provide.
Each semester I was astounded that I survived.
So here I am on the eve of my Sacramento State University Graduation... It's taken me about 8 years....
I am very proud to finally see this day here.
I could not have made it this far without my family, friends and my savior...
It is possible!



Popular Posts